Friday, January 20, 2017

Ecclesiastes: 2: 3-19. Vanity of Earthly pleasure and Luxury.

 Solomon said in his heart, in considering carefully the possibility of enjoyment. I will prove you with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure and behold, this is also vanity. I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, Go to, now, I will prove thee with mirth, to find out whether he would feel happy and contented in enjoyment of the senses, I sought in my heart, to give myself to wine, yet acquainting my heart with wisdom, whether he would feel happy and contented of the senses; therefore enjoy sensual pleasure, of every kind; "and behold, this also is vanity."  it affords no new happiness.
 I said of laughter, of the joy and cheerfulness which he madly attempt to reach, It is mad,foolish, it affords no real satisfaction; What does it?  It accomplished nothing of value, it avails nothing in attainment of real lasting good. Again, I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, to comfort myself by its use, yet acquainting myself with wisdom, that is, to keep wisdom and discretion as the guiding principles of his life; to lay hold on folly, to seize and enjoy the pleasures of the flesh, to find out whether it would satisfy, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men., what course they had best pursue in going through life., which they should do under the Heaven all the days of their life. Solomon did what so many people have tried out since his time; instead of accepting the statements of Gods word concerning that which is good and beneficial to them, they determine to try out for themselves what is good and are obliged to learn through many bitter and painful experiences. Solomon having the means took the opportunity for his experiment . I made me great works, building magnificent  structures and piling up evidences of wealth on every hand;
 I built me houses, 1 Kings 7-10;  I planted me vineyards, Song of Sol.8,11; I made me gardens and orchards, pleasure- grounds near his various residences, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits, in rich variety , including many from foreign countries. I made me pools of water, artificial lakes for purposes of irrigation, to water the wood that brings forth trees. I got me servants and maidens, slaves of both sexes, and had servants born in my house, such slaves being distinguished for loyalty to their master;  also I had great possessions  of great and small cattle above all in Jerusalem. before me, as God had promised him,2 Chron,1,12;v.8 I gathered me silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces,1 Kings 9,28; 10,24-29; I got me men singers and women singers , such as was common at oriental courts for the entertainment of the court and of royal guests, and the delights of the sons of men in great abundance, as be fitted his station and wealth.  So I Was great, possessed of riches and power, and increased more than all that were before in Jerusalem, as the historical accounts will attest fully to. Soon 1 Kings 9,-11;  also my wisdom remained with me.
 And whatsoever my eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy,
 and this was my portion of all my labor,  and then I looked on all the labors of my hands had wrought; and behold, all was vanity and vexation of the spirit, there was no lasting satisfaction in the possession and enjoyment of all earthly goods and pleasures, and there was no profit under the sun. And I turned myself to behold wisdom, madness, and folly; for what can the man do that comes after the king? Solomon surely had the best chance to make his experiment in happiness, and if he had not succeeded, any one else would have still smaller chance of success. Even that which has already been done.  And how dies the wise man?  As the fool, for they both yield up the spirit.
in the same manner. Therefore I Hated life and was filled with weariness and loathing toward all  this life has to offer; because the work wrought under the sun grievous to me, for all is vanity and vexation of spirit. Who knows whether he shall be a wise man or a fool. Solomon speaks finally on the vanity of labor. Yet a man that has labored in wisdom and knowledge, will leave his possessions to whom one has not labored at all. This also I seen as from the hand of God. Christians may profit by the sad experiment which Solomon made without paying the high price for the wisdom he gained. For God gives to a man that is good in his sight, who lives in the fear of God, wisdom, and knowledge, and joy, as a reward dealt out by his mercy. 2 Chron. 12. This also is vanity and vexation of  spirit, but the lesson which it teaches should be heeded well by all believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment