Thursday, December 22, 2016

Ask anything in my Name. John 14: 23-29.

Yes, ask anything, using my name and I will do it! Because I will only reveal myself to those who love me and obey me. The Father will love them too, and we will come to them and live with them.
 Anyone who doesn't obey me doesn't love me. And remember, I am not making up this answer to your question! It is the answer given by my Father who sent me. I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. But, when the Father sends the comforter instead of me, and by the Comforter I mean the Holy Spirit- He will teach you much, as well as remind you of everything I myself have told you. He will teach you much, as well as remind you of everything I myself have told you. I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart!
And the peace I give isn't fragile like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled and afraid.  Remember what I told you- I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you love me, you will be very happy for me, for now I can go to the Father, who is greater than I am. I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do, you will believe in [me].
  Our text starts out with Jesus talking of returning to the Father. He promises to send the advocate;  the "Holy Spirit" who will teach Jesus followers and remind them of what Jesus taught. Even more, those in whom God makes a home with, will experience a peace that overcomes fear. Set your troubled hearts at rest, trust in God always. This is the traditional language of faith. It seemed strange that Jesus would show himself to the disciples, but not to the world. Based on their expectations of the Messiah, the world would need to see him. The disciples no doubt expected Jesus to establish an earthly kingdom.
 The  word, translated here as "teaching" a more encompassing term than " commands." This term is the name of Jesus in chapter one: (Logos) in the Greek which has a creative meaning to it.
                                      By the words of the Lord were the
                                      Heavens made; all of the host
                                      Of them by the breath of his mouth (Ps. 33:6).
But Jesus goes on, 'trust' also in me. Jesus himself is a decisive new factor in a man's faith in God. He effects one's belief  in life after death. In a sense, the, anyone who loves Jesus, will hold to Jesus, guarding and keeping him in our lives. We will keep Jesus' word, through which we know him. we will obey his teaching.
 When we love Jesus, the Father shows his merciful, caring love to us. And the Father and the and Son dwell at our sides. Where two or three are gathered in my name he is there with us ( Matt. I8:20).
  In contrast, those who do not love Jesus who do not keep his words and, by inference, do not have Jesus or the Father on their side. let not your hearts be troubled. You are trusting God, trust in me. There are many homes up there where my Father lives, In my Father's house are many mansions (Rooms): If it was not so, I would have told you, I go to prepare a place for you. and if I go and prepare a place for you, when your ready I will come again, and take you where I am, there you may be also. (Jn.14). Thomas said unto him, Lord, we know not where you go; how can we know the way? Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.  If you had known me, you should have known my Father also: From henceforth you know him and have seen him. Philip said unto him, Lord show us the Father, and it will satisfy us.
 Jesus says: Have I been so long a time with you, and yet have you not known me, Philip?  He that has seen me , has seen the Father, how say you then, show us the Father? Believe I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words I speak unto you I speak not of myself, but the Father that dwells within me, He does the work. (10:38-5:19; Deut. 18:18).Solidarity with Jesus is the guarantee of being with him hereafter. Jesus was telling his disciples profound truths. They were puzzled and perplexed. how could they sought all this out? How could they remember everything?  Jesus knew their state of mind., but he had to tell them these things in the short time he had with them. He had to prepare them for the unthinkable trial and execution about to happen. True they wouldn't understand everything then. But the Father in Jesus name would send the Holy Spirit to teach them everything and remind them of all Jesus had said. The sending of the Spirit from God on Pentecost had that special purpose.
  On the eve of the most violent day of Jesus earthly life and the most heart -wrenching day for his disciples, since he called them, Jesus gave them peace. Jesus peace is not the same as the world's peace. It isn't fragile as the next temper flare-up or grab for power.
 Jesus peace calms troubled hearts and makes fearful hearts confident. His peace keeps us at one with God and serene in our salvation. We need not be afraid or overcome by troubled hearts.
 Into the midst of anxiety and alarm, God offers visions of a glorious future filled with promise. In the 2nd readings from revelations, John, turning from the lake of fire, is carried up in a vision and sees the "New Jerusalem' coming down, centered on the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb. Into the anxieties and uncertainties of our everyday life, Christ offers a vision of a glorious future and issues a promise that radically changes our present: Peace I leave, with you, My peace I give to you. AMEN!  


No comments:

Post a Comment