Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Messianic Psalms.

 Our look at the Psalms, would not be complete without consideration of the " Messianic Psalms" These are psalms concerned with the Messiah. They were given to the psalmist  by the Lord Jesus Christ in his pre-incarnate eternal state. As the Lord Jesus looked down through the corridors of time from eternity past, he poured out his heart in anticipation of the sufferings and sorrows that He knew, He would endure a thousand years later. In these Psalms, we have a glimpse of what He knowingly faced for us. Many Messianic Psalms were written by David between 1010 and 970 B.C., one thousand years before the crucifixion  and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. 
 There are three types of " Messianic Psalms." The first can be identified as  "Typical."  In a Typical Messianic Psalm there is some feature in the life of the palmist that is intended by the
 Holy Spirit to be a picture or type of Messiah. 
 In the Typical Messianic , we do not say that all the psalmist's life, activities , or circumstances mentioned, are Messianic. Otherwise, in many instances we would end up with heresy. Only some particular feature of the psalm is the type. Psalm 69 is a lament, or reminder, psalm. Verse 5 demonstrates that the entire psalm is not Messianic. It reads, " O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee. " We know this can not refer to the Messiah because he is sinless. But then in verse 7 we read, " because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame has covered my face." With That, David's experience becomes a type of the Messiah.  He continues in verse 8, " I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children." Notice the synonymous parallelism in these two verses. Again, David's experience made him a type of Christ, who in his lifetime became a stranger and an alien because His relatives believed He was "beside himself."
 Continuing in Psalm 69, verse 9 says, " For the zeal of thine house has eaten me up." " As a theocentric individual, David was so consumed with the worship of Jehovah, that he spent hours and days in worship at the Ark in Jerusalem and at the Tabernacle and brazen altar in Gibeon. 
  In this psalm he said "I am just consumed with worshiping God."  A thousand years later, when the apostle John saw the Lord Jesus in His zeal for the Temple, he recorded in John 2:17,  " And his disciples remembered that it was written, the zeal of thy house has eaten me up." In that respect, they immediately likened the Lord Jesus to His ancestor David and linked Him with this psalm. again in verse 12, David's experience is a type of Christ: "They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the "song of drunkards." Psalm 69  looks at verses 19 and 20:
  "Thou has known my "reproach, and my shame, and my dishonor....
   Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness; and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.
 As the Lord Jesus Christ was on the cross one thousand years later, looking at the faces staring up at him, He saw them shooting out the lip, wagging their heads, mocking him saying, " Thou Son of God come down from the cross and save thyself," As the Psalmist says, " He found no pity in any eyes or faces looking up at Him in sullen pride and arrogance. " They gave me also gall for my meat; (typical) and in my thirst they gave me vinegar ( prophetic). " We have no evidence that this ever happened to David. When he uses this kind of vocabulary, he steps beyond the category of a Typical Psalm to a Prophetic Messianic Psalm. The Prophecy starts in (Psalm 69;21- and is fulfilled in Matt. ( 27:34, 48).  Up to this point, history has  been in play in David's life. He experienced the rebuke of friends when he fled from Saul, and was abused by Shimei when he fled from Absalom. When he was across the Jordan after Absalom invaded Jerusalem, I am certain he was the song of drunkards, and even later on during during the rebellion of Sheba. So, in those portions of the Psalm, David was experiencing in his own life those things that the Lord Jesus would later experience. It is not believed that David ever experienced gall and vinegar himself. But, the figurative language, and what may sometimes have even appeared to be " "hyperbole," was  to strengthen  the message) for what was literally fulfilled in the Lord Jesus Christ. So the definition for a "Typical- Prophetic Messianic Psalm" is history  plus inspired foresight, with the Psalmist going beyond himself, and his own experience.      
  


No comments:

Post a Comment